bon adventures

Monday, September 10, 2007

SEAttle


Split, by Roxy Paine.
Polished stainless steel.
My most favourite sculpture ever.

On Saturday, Jason and I went to Seattle for the day to visit some friends who had flown in from Tokyo. Jeff, Geoff, Ian, and Darcy went to Seoul for Lindsay's wedding (which included a white grand piano and smoke like in a magic show... *poof* You're married!). Obviously, Jason and I would have loved to have gone to Korea and Japan also, but those countries are not within driving distance, so we settled on Seattle.

We parked the car at the hotel, which is in downtown Seattle, and then wandered around on foot, taking in the Space Needle, the Experience Music Project, and the Olympic Sculpture Park, and Pike Market (which was closed). Jason thought I had packed the camera, and I thought he had put it in his pocket, so we were (very unfortunately) sans camera! I kept saying, "I wish I had a camera!" Jason took some pictures with his camera phone, but it's just not the same.

Crossing the border into the states took us about an hour and a half, and there were no bathroom facilities. I was very tempted to visit the ditch, but there was very little cover. Our wait in the car was perfumed by silage from the nearby dairy farms: not a pleasant smell, but it was nice to be in the country. We were not at all impressed by the I-5. It was one of the worst highways we've ever traveled: cement adhering the gravel together. It took us about 4 hours to make our way down to Seattle, but only 2 hours to drive back during the night. We might cross the border again in the winter to spend a day or two snowboarding at Mt. Baker. All of the chocolate packages are different in the US (Reese, KitKat, etc.), which I did not appreciate. The KitKat logo is classic, and you just don't mess with a classic!

I'm glad I don't live on the underside of the 49. The stores advertising a "large selection of guns for sale" shocked me like a kick to the stomach.

1 Comments:

  • At September 12, 2007 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you know that their KitKats taste different (worse) too? We take orders from family when we go south of the 49th to visit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home