bon adventures

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Winning Draws is for Winners

What could be better than 4 miniature slices of bread?

Why, 4 miniature slices of bread smothered in Nutella, of course!

What to do with dried-out miniature bread?

Fry it up as a grilled cheese:Cheddar & Ham for Jason; Mozzarella, Tomato, & Basil for me.

None for you, Evil Kitty!



Bad Kitty!


Now to explain the title of this post, "Winning Draws is for Winners."
My mom sent me a big ol' box o' baking on Tuesday, and after spending the night in the Vancouver post office, I picked it up on Friday. (And no, I was not able to pick up the parcel for my husband without his written authorization even though we have the same address and share the same last name.) The box contained my favourite chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps, brownies, and two miniature loaves of bread. The bread was so cute that I had to take pictures of it! Food is more fun if it is GIANT or miniature.

When I called my mom to say thank-you, she told me that my sister, Jocalyn (age 9), won a miniature loaf pan in a draw. Jocalyn has a long history of winning draws. She has won a backpack, and a GIANT teddy bear. I'm not sure if she is particularly lucky, or if there is just such a high chance of winning in her very small town of Fairview, AB. She also wins coloring contests on a fairly regular basis, but that has to do with skill, not luck. All of my siblings have mad coloring skillz.

The miniature loaf pan made me think of the things other people have won in draws. The most outstanding prize in the circle of my acquaintances has to be when Jason (age 11) won a draw for a purebred Arabian which was a descendant of a famous racehorse. Yep, he won a horse! I shouldn't tell my sister that -- she'll probably get jealous.

Also, I won a door prize at a chamber music concert that I bribed Jason to attend with me. It was Piazolla's "Tango Nuevo" for accordion and strings, and I told him it would be like the music from 12Monkeys. It turns out I was telling the truth. The person who composed the soundtrack for 12 Monkeys borrowed extensively from Piazolla. (By the way, Piazolla learned classical composition from Ginastera, the man I have been obsessed about for the past 2 years.) Anyway, back to the door prize. We both filled out a form to put in a box at intermission, and Jason actually put his own information down instead of mine. After intermission, there was a brief speech, then the first violinist drew a name, and it was mine, and then the cellist drew a name, and it was Jason's. Whisperings of conspiracy floated around the concert hall. We could not leave Con Hall that evening without people commenting on the "fix," or the "grand scheme." We each won a $25 gift certificate for The Gramophone. (And no, I was not able to collect the prize on my husband's behalf: he had to walk up to the stage and get it himself.)

What have you won in a draw? Publish a comment and your name will be entered in a draw.

1 Comments:

  • At September 20, 2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was in the fourth grade, I won a pair of gold-tone earrings in a draw at a fashion show fundraiser hosted at my church. They turned my earlobes green.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home