bon adventures

Friday, December 15, 2006

CRAZY STORM!!!

Yes, I violated one of my pet peeves: multiple exclamation points. Normally, one exclamation point is sufficient.

Last night, the wind howled so loudly that it sounded like there were 100 jet airplanes circling our apartment. I heard stuff bumping around on our balcony, and I was worried a plastic chair was going to fly off and crash into someone's windshield, and the windows and the trees were making noises that I haven't heard before. I was uneasy, and I didn't sleep. Then, the main event:



CRASH! tinkle tinkle tinkle...

One of the glass panels on our balcony shattered! Jason bolted up from a deep sleep. We heard other windows break during the night. I think about 26 windows, patio doors, and balcony panels broke in our building. Our building is only 11 stories high. We must be in some kind of wind corridor. Some people had their bedroom window break. Imagine waking up to that nightmare.

I had to be at work at 9:00 this morning (yes, I have a day-job now). The wind knocked out power, so some stop lights weren't working, and busy (12 lane) intersections became 4-way stops. There was a collision on my normal route, so I chose to take Granville, but I heard it was blocked on 16th. When I got to 16th, I saw a gigantic evergreen that had fallen down across three lanes. I thought I was going to be late for work, but I actually arrived 10 minutes early. That was the quickest commute I've ever had! Although, it was the messiest. There were tree branches swept into piles on the side of the street. That must have been a big broom! (Sorry, I'm feeling distinctly unfunny and uncreative today.)

I am currently experiencing an audio hallucination. I "hear" two simultaneous radio stations: country & opera. Interesting.

3 Comments:

  • At December 17, 2006 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You guys getting some crazy weather there!!! (I love exclamation points!!!) Where are you working now? Are you going to GP for Christmas?

     
  • At December 17, 2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Bonnie M said…

    1. A VW dealership/service centre. People are not happy paying the (sometimes huge) bill to have their car fixed. I'm the one who takes their money & answers the phone. I get a discount on getting the '94 Jetta serviced, though. Also, I now have 2 students. My teaching business has doubled.

    2. No. Are you?

     
  • At December 18, 2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Mark Zacharias said…

    broken windows.. from wind alone? That is freaky! And as much as I like freaky weather that sucks for you guys. Do you have to replace the window yourselves?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home